The statue of Amidabha, in this temple’s Konjikido, Golden Hall, has the affable smile and an elegant aura, which expresses the nobility of the late Heian period (mid 11th – 12th Century). This statue, along with the left and right flanking statues, was created in the first half of the 12 Century, with Jocho-style, an elegant Japanese sculpture style established by Jocho. Visitors can feel the calming atmosphere of the Heian period, as they stroll down the Tsukimizaka slope to ascend to Golden Hall.
The scenery includes smaller Buddhist statues, in small halls, surrounded by cherry blossoms, Chusonji lotuses, chrysanthemums, crimson foliage, and the gorgeous snowscapes, depending on the season.
This hall is close to the entrance of Chusonji Temple Omotesando, the main approach to the temple,” of Tsukimizaka”. It is also the front museum of Chusonji Temple, which introduces Hiraizumi of the three generations of the Oshu-Fujiwara clan, in the Medieval Age and of the Date clan in the Early Modern Times. It displays models and drawings of Motsuji Temple, Muryoko-in temple, the temple that imitates Uji-byodoin Temple, and Nikai Daido.
The restored model of Muryoko-in temple, which was supervised by Fujishima Gaijiro (1889 -2002): a Japanese architectural historian, and a professor emeritus at the University of Tokyo, guides us through the thought of the scene of Pure Land by the Oshu-Fujiwara clan.
Mt. Yakeishidake, with an altitude of 1,548m, spans both Iwate and Akita prefectures. It is covered with the beech virgin forest and is rich in Alpine plants. The mountain trail sometimes becomes like a river with snowmelt water. With abundant water, there are many wetlands, ponds and swamps on the mid slope, creating a magnificent flower garden.
Alpine plants bloom near the summit, from where the Japanese Alps can be seen. Even at an altitude of 1,000m, the low latitude of the Tohoku region creates a reservoir of flowers.
This museum is a historical museum representing the Tohoku region adjacent to the Tagajo Haiji Site. This remade pillar, possessed by this museum, is a pillar of the Konjikido, Golden Hall, of Chusonji Temple, Iwate, where Matsuo Basho (1644 – 1694), the most famous poet of the Edo period, made a poem, “Hotaru no Hiruma ha Kietsutsu Hashiraka na – The pillars of Konjikido, Golden Hall, of Chusonji Temple looks like a Firefly by day” The museum introduced: handicraft techniques of the latter Heian period (794 – 1185), such as the Raden, work of white shining turban shell, the openwork metalwork and lacquer work, in everywhere and even Nageshi, a horizontal piece of timber in a frame, which are organically together.
This museum also tells us the overlap between Fusui theory, to create harmony in the environment through the manipulation of energy, and Pure Land philosophy in Hiraizumi, Iwate and Chusonji Temple.
The Amidado, a temple dedicated to Amitabha, which is the principal image of Buddha in Pure Land, and the garden of Shiramizu Amidado, reflect the elegant scenery. The composition of painting of the Jodo Mandala, Mandala of Pure Land, was transferred to the precincts. Tokuhime, built Muryojuin Ganjyoji Temple at Shiramizu in 1160, to pray for her husband’s soul to Rest In Peace.
She was the daughter of Fujiwara no Kiyohira (1058 – 1128), the founder of Northern Fujiwara Dynasty in Hiraizumi, Iwate, and the wife of Iwaki Tayu Norimichi of Kokushu of Iwaki, a governor of Iwaki Province. The Amidado, was built on one side of the temple, which was surrounded by a pond on three side: east, west, and south.
It is said that the name of Shimizu was divided from a Chinese character in the name of Hiraizumi, which was Tokuhime’s hometown.